Underground Installation of Outdoor Wood Furnace Piping
Proper underground installation is the key to maximizing heating efficiency while controlling the amount of fuel consumed.
Here Are The DO’s:
- DO be concerned about ground water.
- DO dig the trench to about 18" to 24" deep.
- DO put crushed rock in bottom of trench to wick away ground water.
- DO insulate feed and return lines with a minimum of 2" of foam insulation.
- DO separate feed and return lines from each other with insulation.
- DO wrap insulation in plastic poly tube or seal to prevent water from entering.
- DO backfill trench with sawdust for extra insulating value.
- DO cover sawdust with plastic and tuck in sides.
- DO cover plastic with soil to ground level.
Here Are The DON’Ts:
- DON’T dig the trench deeper than 18" to 24" deep to avoid ground water.
- DON’T let the feed and return lines touch each other.
- DON’T just put the lines in pipe and expect insulation values.